RFC: Web packages and Prefix:

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Thu Aug 21 18:43:21 CEST 2003

> What I don't like in this support is it's limitations: there can only
> be one relocateable path in the package and all files must live under
> it.  Removing (the limitations, not the support ;-) would be very nice...

I agree -- the limitations are bad.  Still, for web packages (like
squirrelmail), they don't cause trouble -- so this is a place to start,
I think.

It would be incredible, if, someday one could put a few lines in
poldek.conf or rpmrc or something like this:

	%prefix /
	%sysconfdir /System/Preferences
	%bindir /System/Tools

etcetera, and end up with a MacOS X FHS system, or leave it at defaults
and get regular FHS standards.  This is probably pie in the sky, though
-- not going to happen easily if at all.