The secret of Alpha updates

Andrew A. Gill superluser at frontiernet.net
Sat Sep 13 05:47:06 CEST 2003

I think I figured out how to update my RedHat 7.1 system to PLD.  The
problem stems from an RPM/glibc incompatability.  The secret is to upgrade
RPM to 4.0.4 (the last RPM that doesn't support PartialHardlinkSets), and
then to the next one.  Then update glibc and install compat-db,
compat-glibc, and compat-libstdc++.  This will allow you to get the newer
files and upgrade to PLD.

--
|Andrew A. Gill                       |I posted to Silent-Tristero and|
|<superluser at frontiernet.net>         |all I got was this stupid sig! |
|Nothing here yet: <http://www.needsfoodbadly.com>    Temporary sig: --

Thanks for all your help.