The secret of Alpha updates

Andrew A. Gill superluser at frontiernet.net
Sat Sep 13 12:35:13 CEST 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Adam [iso-8859-2] Go³êbiowski wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 11:47:06PM -0400, Andrew A. Gill wrote:
> > I think I figured out how to update my RedHat 7.1 system to PLD.  The
> > problem stems from an RPM/glibc incompatability.  The secret is to upgrade
> > RPM to 4.0.4 (the last RPM that doesn't support PartialHardlinkSets), and
> > then to the next one.  Then update glibc and install compat-db,
> > compat-glibc, and compat-libstdc++.  This will allow you to get the newer
> > files and upgrade to PLD.
>
> Then maybe you could write some kind of mini howto describing migrating
> from RedHat to PLD on alpha arch?

No...

But I could write a mini-howto on how to upgrade from RedHat 7.1's glibc
to RedHat > 7.1's glibc--

which is a prerequisite for upgrading to PLD on any architecture.  If I
can remember how to do it, that is.  It was a while back and my
..bash_history is now clean.  I'm also building my kernel in another
session, so the list of things that I'm willing to do is a little smaller.

But I can see if I can't reconstruct it.

--
|Andrew A. Gill                       |I posted to Silent-Tristero and|
|<superluser at frontiernet.net>         |all I got was this stupid sig! |
|Nothing here yet: <http://www.needsfoodbadly.com>    Temporary sig: --

RSN...