SPECS (DEVEL): python.spec - scriptdir is back - rel. 1

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Wed Dec 1 21:36:18 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 05:33:26PM +0100, Michal Chruszcz wrote:
> Well, I don't think that Python developers are going to discuss anything
> with us....

Python built from the original sources is not FHS compliant.
In python, even the original sources, there is a possibility to separate
architecture-dependant and architecture independant files, but in
a not-FHS-compliant way. Our Python 2.3 is patched to be FHS compliant
(FHS compliance is one of our goals) and any python code using standard
python mechanisms to choose instalation directories will work well with
such separation.

I guess the FHS patch was dropped or not updated in the DEVEL branch --
this is wrong, because that is a regression.

However it might be possible, that all python 2.4 code is installed in
the libdir (architecture-dependant tree), but the output RPMS still
support the separation and architecture-independant modules may be
built. That would be OK.

But if the Python built from the spec doesn't support modules in
/usr/share at all, that it cannot go to PLD, as that would mean no
architecture independant (*.noarch.rpm) python package/modules -- that
is not nice.

Greets,
	Jacek