harmful python-* Provides without epoch

Paweł Sakowski saq at pld-linux.org
Sat Dec 11 17:35:21 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 17:24 +0100, Jakub Bogusz wrote:
> Some workaround could be not to use epoch in less-than rules... but it
> could turn out harmful in the future.
>
> Does anyone have better, reliable solution than dropping these
> non-epoched provides and updating existing non-epoched dependencies?

Provides: python(something) = %{py_ver}
and modify pyrequires_eq to require the virtual capability, without an
epoch.

The version required has nothing to do with the python package's EVR,
and everything to do with the Python language variant (including using
the proper /usr/lib/python%{py_ver} path). Correct me if I'm wrong.

This would take a massive attack on ~247 specs.

--
Paweł Sakowski <saq at pld-linux.org>
PLD Linux Distribution