harmful python-* Provides without epoch

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Sat Dec 11 19:01:01 CET 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 06:49:37PM +0100, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> Jakub Bogusz wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 06:11:28PM +0100, Radoslaw Zielinski wrote:
> > > Jakub Bogusz <qboosh at pld-linux.org> [11-12-2004 17:59]:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Reminding one more time: AltLinux has a Python dependency generator;
> > > I don't know if it's good, though.  Any Python hackers here...?
> >
> > The same... but even if it's good it's rather Th-thing.
> >
> > IMO we need some short time solution for Ac - now it's possible to
> > upgrade base python packages to 2.4 without breaking dependencies - and
> > then all other python stuff will stop working.
>
> BTW, which python version is intended for Ac ?
>
> python.spec on HEAD suggests 2.4, and no AC-branch ...
>
> Is it ready for "STBR to ready" ?

No because of the above depndency problems.
Non-epoched Provides must be dropped, otherwise it would be possible to
upgrade just base packages to python 2.4 and all external modules will
stop working.

Introducing alternative python dependencies for new packages without
dropping those Provides won't do anything - Ac packages have broken
dependencies _already_.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://cyber.cs.net.pl/~qboosh/