SPECS (LINUX_2_6_8): kernel.spec - mount /boot in %pre

Elan Ruusamäe glen at delfi.ee
Mon Dec 20 12:14:56 CET 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 16:38, Paweł Sakowski wrote:
> I'm not sure if that's the right approach. If somebody mounts /boot ro,
> they usually do it for a reason and might not want it silently
> overridden by rpm scripts. Besides, if you change the disks mounted in
> %pre, you should roll it back in %post -- honour admin's decision of not
> having /boot mounted permanently.
>
> You need /boot mounted rw to install FHS, kernel and grub. You need /usr
> mounted rw to install virtually any package. An admin should know this.
the noauto for /boot is from gentoo world. they say it's for security and for
system failures.

can't find any reference from their site right now ;(

and there is difference between /boot not mounted or /usr mounted readonly.
because if the /boot isn't mounted the kernel image will be placed silently
to rootfs and you won't even notice that.

--
glen