SPECS: pdf2html.spec, pdftohtml.spec - CC, CXX, C(XX)FLAGS related...

Adam Gołębiowski adamg at biomerieux.pl
Wed Dec 29 09:45:33 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 05:26:43AM +0100, Tomasz Wittner wrote:
> On Tue 28. of December 2004 14:00, Adam Gołębiowski wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 03:29:50AM +0000, twittner wrote:
> > >  %build
> > > -%{__make}
> > > +# Splitting into several lines what is below is strongly prohibited.
> > > +%{__make} CC="%{__cc}" CXX="%{__cxx}" CFLAGS="%{rpmcflags}"
> > > CXXFLAGS="%{rpmcflags}"
> >
> > Because? :)
> ... because \
>  it \
>  is \
>  strongly \
>  prohibited.
>
> Seriously, this line is longer than 80 characters and can be split in two but
> not in four as some developers usually make it.

Because it is like:
Shopping list:
- milk
- sugar
- vodka
- beer

and not like
Shopping list: - milk, - sugar, - vodka, - beer

> > We had a discussion concerning that issue but there were no conclusions.
> Conclusion is: some developers are paranoids and they must break lines after
> %{__make} and put every single its argument in separate line, without
> necessity (even if %{__make} and its all arguments to fit in 60-80 char.).
> They also force others to makeing the same senseless things.

And some are paranoid and prohibit other to do so.

> > Don't mislead people.
> No - now people are well informed.

Show me where it was decided that convention I'm standing for is
prohibited. Point me to appropriate mail in list archives. Or remove
your comment. This is your private opinion which you can not enforce on
others.

> > And since most of the specs follow the other
> > convention, it will most likely be changed one day.
> What for? - I know - for a convention. But I put reason before conventions.
> All-in-all my display is rather wider than higher. And yours?

legibility

--
http://www.mysza.eu.org/ | Everybody needs someone sure, someone true,
   PLD Linux developer   | Everybody needs some solid rock, I know I do.