bug in sysinit for lvm

Shad Sterling polyergic at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 20:11:49 CET 2004

On my amd64, the default /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit fails to make my lvm
volume available - "checking local filesystems" fails because the
volume has no vfs node.  A small rearrangement of the relevant lines
in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit fixes it:

----- original:
	run_cmd "Scanning for LVM volume groups" /sbin/vgscan $lvmignorelock && \
	run_cmd "Activating LVM volume groups" /sbin/vgchange -a y $lvmignorelock
	[ "$lvmversion" = "2" ] && /sbin/vgscan --mknodes $lvmignorelock >
/dev/null 2>&1
----- current:
	run_cmd "Scanning for LVM volume groups" /sbin/lvm pvscan $lvmignorelock
	run_cmd "Ensuring LVM device nodes" /sbin/vgscan --mknodes $lvmignorelock
	run_cmd "Activating LVM volume groups" /sbin/lvm vgchange -ay $lvmignorelock
-----

It looks like the volumes can't be activated until the nodes are
created, and the nodes can't be activated until the volumes are found.
 I expect the &&s were there for a reason, and removing them could
break things on other systems, so my changes shouldn't be propagates
as-is.

(I'm alittle new to all this, so if there's some better way of
reporting/fixing things, please let me know)

 - Shad