Broken indexes on ftp

Marcin Król hawk at limanowa.net
Fri Nov 19 00:06:39 CET 2004

Hello.

Some of you probably has read about problems with AC installation using
network bootdisk. I must say, I was surprised by those problems, as I
haven't changed bootdisk images in the meantime. I think that poldek
indexes on ftp are broken. Why?

1. Instead of installing packages, poldek in installer just says "broken
dependencies". And nothing more. After adding -vv its says:

warn: req 'kernel-smp = 2.4.27-1' needs an epoch (assuming same epoch as
kernel-smp-3:2.6.8-4)

and same thing for almost every package, but of course with different
package names and versions.

2. Regenerating indexes on ftp doesn't fixes the problem. But
regenerating indexes on my private mirror(s) solves the problem and
everything is working ok again. While regenerating indexes my system
poldek says "BROKEN" about original indexes from ftp. My poldek version:
  0.18.7-2, version in installer: same, version on ftp: 0.18.3-4

So... If regenerating indexes helps, then those from ftp are broken.
Question is: what was changed and is causing this? Whatever it was, it
must be reverted or fixed, or installation via network bootdisks will
not work.

M.