kernel 2.6.8-2 from ready

Marcin Chojnowski martii at obgyn.edu.pl
Sat Oct 2 09:09:06 CEST 2004

Hi,

Unfortunatelly this kernel is still broken even after applying ingress patch.

It's making my laptop to freeze.

It did before without telling me what was the reason (I just found that everything is working ok after I remove ingress
code from my QoS scrips)

I used also wondershaper from LARTC site as it's using ingress too to check how our brand new kernel is going to behave.
I get such ops:

Code: 39 7b 10 0f 83 a7 03 00 00 89 5c 24 14 8b 1b 85 db 75 ed 8b
 ./wshaper.htb: line 139:  2484 Segmentation fault      tc filter add dev $DEV parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 u32
match ip src 0.0.0.0/0 police rate ${DOWNLINK}kbit burst 10k drop flowid :1

System is working for some time and gets frozen.

It's already known that kernel 2.6.8.1 has broken ingress and it was pached in 2.6.9rcX but I'm unable to fix it myself.

Any help is welcome.

For those who want to test this issue on their machines here is the malicious code:

# attach ingress policer:
tc qdisc add dev $DEV handle ffff: ingress

# filter *everything* to it (0.0.0.0/0), drop everything that's
# coming in too fast:
tc filter add dev $DEV parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 u32 match ip src \
   0.0.0.0/0 police rate ${DOWNLINK}kbit burst 10k drop flowid :1

where $DEV is our network device (in my case eth0)
and $DOWNLINK is the maximum speed of our internet connection (incoming).

Martii