Fileshareset in kdelibs 3.3.1 has suid.

Michal Kochanowicz michal at michal.waw.pl
Fri Oct 15 18:22:09 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 06:12:57PM +0200, Piotr Szymanski wrote:
> I have chosen to set the suid root for fileshareset (and remove stupid banner)
> anyone against?
Me. Giving everybody right to modify this file is bad idea. Thing about
stupid or malicious younger sister, computer-impared parents, internet
cafe and so on.

> A better idea would be to perhaps create a group that has writable access
> to /etc/samba/smb.conf and among others to samba resources. Depends on your
> choice.
Much better. You can also move it to subpackage, but don't give
everybody, in every kdelibs instalation, access to smb.conf.

That script comes with kdelibs, so it can be present even on systems
that don't use entire KDE but, for example, only the Konqueror.
--
--= Michal Kochanowicz =--==--==BOFH==--==--= michal at michal.waw.pl =--
--= finger me for PGP public key or visit http://michal.waw.pl/PGP =--