gtk+

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz ankry at green.mif.pg.gda.pl
Thu Sep 23 09:49:23 CEST 2004

=?iso-8859-2?Q?Pawe=B3?= Sakowski wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 21:57 +0200, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> > One more doubt:
> > I noticed that for some locales glibc encoding and Xlib encoding are
> > different (eg. for et_EE, tt_RU, most *_IN, uz_UZ etc.).
> >
> > Might it be a problem?
>
> Not might. It is a problem. I've reported it at x.org quite some time
> ago, no reply from them.

Do you have a testcase to show the problem?

Are there (IYO) any objections against syncing the locale.alias from X with
the glibc encodings? Any new problems expected?

> A workaround is to fully qualify your locale with the codeset name (e.g.
> en_US.UTF-8) -- it probably allows you to assume that X'es idea of your
> encoding is consistent with glibc (and via glibc with qt, gtk+, among
> others).

But en_US.UTF-8/XLC_LOCALE does not refer to many fonts, possibly not being
able to display characters in many languages (different kinds of cyrillic,
devanagari, arabic, lao, armenian, georgian, etc.).
I don't know what I can break adding more fsN/csN sections there.
More memory consuming ?

Possibly better solution is to define more codeset names for such languages,
basing on their non-UTF codesets.

  Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz               ankry at mif.pg.gda.pl
  phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math.,   Gdansk University of Technology