logrotate

Elan Ruusamäe glen at delfi.ee
Mon Dec 5 21:18:31 CET 2005

On Monday 05 December 2005 20:54, Michal Kochanowicz wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 07:18:50PM +0200, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> > /etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
> > error: Ignoring squid.rpmnew, because of .rpmnew ending
> > error: Ignoring clamav.rpmsave, because of .rpmsave ending
> > error: Ignoring clamav~, because of ~ ending
> > why are such messages as error. can't they be just silently ignored?
> So you know you should clean up. I like it that way.
well, why isn't then sent there mails for /etc/syslog.conf.rpmnew?
or /etc/group.rpmnew, or any .rpmfoo file in /etc

imho if you want to get notified of .rpmfoo files write a script which
notifies you all of /etc files, not just /etc/logrotate.d (afaik suse had
something like this)

ie i don't see why logrotate files are so much different than other rpmfoo
files in /etc, which similarily get *ignored* if present.

besides backup files? i have create backups enabled globally in vim because
i'm not the only sysadmin and good to see previous file state. of course cvs
or any other vcs would be used (which i actually do), but backup files are
first to look and very easy and convient (diff -u foo{~,})

--
glen