ANN: Closing AC

Cz at rny dhubleizh at o2.pl
Tue Dec 13 14:55:35 CET 2005

Dnia Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:56:55 +0100, Tomasz Pala <gotar at polanet.pl>
napisał:

> Anyway I simply do not believe, that
> it's 'proven' to be two times faster, especially when speaking of
> machines which have some real load.

I'm testing it right now on my laptop( yea - it doesn't have this much
load, but it runnes few server-like daemons, like apache and mysql + pgsql
). The boot speeds up *really*! X starts in like < 10sec from powering on
the laptop!

The problem is with tracing what runns and what doesn't. Since all starts
parallel, there is a lot of output and things start in different places,
sometimes between of other msgs.

I think also we need to make the scripts use not binnary logic, but
trinary > more. Why? Example: I've forgot to connect my pen and mount
outputed an error, which resulted in failure of running the mounting init
script, which stopped > 50% of the system from running, which is insane!
We need a third state, that it generally did it's job, but there were
errors. This way other thins would boot (like mysql, apache etc...) and
some could fail indeed (like a partition where I keep apache wasn't
mounted etc..), but we'll get the system up, because otherwise we could
end up not allowing logins because of some minor errors.

Cz at rny
--
"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to The Dark Side" -
Yoda