webapps and /cgi-bin alias

Tomasz Wittner twittner at o2.pl
Sat Dec 31 06:04:28 CET 2005

On Wed 28. of December 2005 22:58, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> some of you probably know that it's is troublesome to make alias
> underneath /cgi-bin directory.
>
> with %apache_config macros it was possible to insert slot so that
> the /cgi-bin/subdir alias is defined before global /cgi-bin alias is
> defined.
Site note: boa server doesn't handle multiple ScriptAlias directives - this is
next problem.
> but those are obsoleted by better webapps ;)
I haven't seen webapps in action yet (I've just read its README).

> but webapps framework configs are all read after apache internal configs
> are read. so there's no way to load application's /cgi-bin alias override.
Then read (all or some of these, grouped in separated directories) before.

> there are five ways to solve this.
> 1. do not use /cgi-bin alias for applications
> maybe use Redirect to application address to keep some kind of
> compatability for users depending on the url.
> 2. do not define /cgi-bin alias globally in apache. in ideal world all cgi
> programs should have their apache config and nothing is packaged
> to /home/services/httpd/cgi-bin directory at all. and therefore that alias
> is not needed. but that httpd/cgi-bin location would be for users, ie their
> own cgi-bin applications needed to be placed somewhere too.
> 3. hack apache global /cgi-bin alias and make it as "webapp", thus it
> defines it's url in same way as webapps do. and somehow make it appear as
> last. i don't want to change this as sort-order independant webapps looked
> pretty good already.
> 4. change apache config so the /cgi-bin alias is always loaded last after
> "include webapps.d/*.conf" line.
> not sure if this will make config valid without cgi module present.
> because there are two modules providing cgi interface: mod_cgi and mod_cgid
> and ifmodule directive might not work
> 5. maybe something i've been missing?
Don't perform any automatic configuration during instalation web aware
packages and allow adminisrator to do her/his job (put exemplary configs in
%doc).

--
Tomasz Wittner