SPECS: apache1.spec - Provide apache-modname for each module - swa...

Radoslaw Zielinski radek at karnet.pl
Mon Feb 21 11:50:39 CET 2005

Elan Ruusamäe <glen at delfi.ee> [21-02-2005 01:31]:
> On Saturday 19 February 2005 12:44, Radoslaw Zielinski wrote:
>> In pld.cvs.commit you wrote:
[...]
>>> - Provide apache-modname for each module
[...]
>>> +Provides:      apache = %{version}-%{release}
[...]
>>> +Provides:      apache-mod_auth_db = %{version}-%{release}
[...]
>> I have put some effort to get rid of the apache vs apache1 confusion.
> can you explain, what you mean by "confusion"?

Background: first we had 1.3x in apache.spec, later 2.x on a branch,
then 2.x got merged to HEAD, and at the end someone resurrected 1.3x
as apache1.spec.  Sucks, but that's how it looks like.  Now, we have
quite an amount of packages depending on some kind of webserver; it
used to be described just as "R: apache".  A complete review was never
done.

By "confusion", I mean two things:

1. If you see {{B,}R,O,C}: apache in our CVS, what is it referring to?
   1.3x, but nobody cared to update it?  2.x?  Any Apache?

2. If a package foo has "R: apache" and we have both apache-*.rpm and
   apache1-*.rpm with "P: apache", "poldek --noask -i foo" will draw
   lots.

>> ``Provides: %{%{name}_of_another_package}'' in a package with different
>> functionality is a Bad Thing.  Revision 1.47; you reverted it why?
> since there are packages that require apache, and can work with apache1 and
> apache2. this is to overcame compile time dependancy.

> see horde.spec, imp.spec, eventum.spec

This is exactly the reason "P: webserver = apache" was introduced for.
If you need to depend on mod_foo in any version, "P: apache(mod_foo)"
should be just the thing.  (Would "webserver(mod_foo)" make any sense...?
I'm thinking about lighttpd here...)

[...]

--
Radosław Zieliński <radek at karnet.pl>