SPECS: python-xmlrpc.spec - I can be python-aware: arch-independen...

Paweł Sakowski saq at pld-linux.org
Thu Jul 7 15:25:01 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 14:58 +0200, Radoslaw Zielinski wrote:
> > It's normal that different builders produce non-identical rpm files out
> > of noarch specs. It's most common for %{BUILDTIME} and files' mtime to
> > vary. With py[co] contents it's the same situation.
>
> For RPMS, it's normal, but it's not normal to produce different *files*
> in noarch packages.  The situation we're talking about is the only one
> I know.

It's not a matter of noarch. The same python-related spec file built on
the same builder twice can produce non-identical files:

[saq at neptune tmp]$ echo 'x=1'>a.py
[saq at neptune tmp]$ python -c 'import py_compile;py_compile.compile("a.py")'
[saq at neptune tmp]$ mv a.pyc b.pyc
[saq at neptune tmp]$ touch a.py
[saq at neptune tmp]$ python -c 'import py_compile;py_compile.compile("a.py")'
[saq at neptune tmp]$ diff -u *.pyc
Files a.pyc and b.pyc differ

You want identical? Subscribe to python-dev and convince the folks there to
change the pyc file format.

> Agreed.  But IIRC someone (havner?) wanted all noarch packages to have
> identical content.

There's no problem with that. As ankry wrote, we just pick the noarch
package built by one builder and use it everywhere. Not only do the
files have the same contents, we've got identical rpm files.

[saq at neptune tmp]$ rpm -qp --qf '%{BUILDHOST}\n' ftp://ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/ac/PLD/ppc/PLD/RPMS/python-uid-1.0.2-2.noarch.rpm
athlon.ac.pld-linux.org

> I don't really care, just want to know if the packages containing *.py[co]
> can be noarch, in case I'd touch the Python mess again.  From ankry's
> "No." I understand they can't.

As I already stated, *.py[co] are noarch per se, and can be included in
noarch packages. As I understand ankry's "no", it referred to the
process of populating ftp.pld-linux.org, not the technical issue.

--
Paweł Sakowski <saq at pld-linux.org>
PLD Linux Distribution