SPECS: makewhatis.spec (NEW) - added - linux port of FreeBSD makew...

Tomasz Wittner twittner at o2.pl
Sat Jul 9 10:46:15 CEST 2005

On Sat 9. of July 2005 10:10, Patrys :: Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> Dnia 08-07-2005, pią o godzinie 23:02 +0200, Tomasz Wittner napisał(a):
> > > uh! such versioning just begs for epoch bump afterwards!
> > >
> > I can't imagine such situation (but I'm not brilliant ;) - version is
taken
> > from date '+%Y.%m.%d' . Please, provide an example when bumping epoch is
> > necessary - show me output from:
> >
> > rpmvercmp YYYY.MM.DD-relX yyyy.mm.dd-relY
>
> We use versioning as follows:
>
> (1.)0.20050708-0.1
>
> Then reverting to another snapshot or changing the versioning scheme
> allows for smooth upgrades within the same epoch.
I really don't know what's it all about:
$ rpmvercmp 2005.07.08-1 2005.07.09-0.1
2005.07.08-1 < 2005.07.09-0.1
It works as expected without bumping epoch.
> For example if author
> decides to give the next release a number of 2.0 instead of a date.

I'm author of FreeBSD makewhatis Linux port and I don't plan to change
versioning schema because it is my versioning schema, which is convient to
me. I've taken makewhatis's sources from FreeBSD cvs (makewhatis.*, queue.h,
stringlist.* and each exists only with its cvs revision), adapted and
slightly refined (help printing, ac/am). I hope that everything was
explained.

--
Tomasz Wittner