device-mapper and subpackages

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Fri Jul 29 22:06:37 CEST 2005

Hello,

Currently we have "device-mapper" and three subpackages:
"device-mapper-static", "device-mapper-devel" and "device-mapper-scripts".

The first one contains both libdevmapper library and dmsetup library.
I don't like mixing libraries and executables in one package -- this
often causes problems.

The second one contains static library, but the name would be equally
good for static executable.

"-devel" and "-scripts" are self-explanatory.

I wanted to build a static dmsetup binary linked with uClibc and no
selinux. I have added with_uClibc and without_static bconds and built
the static binary. But there is a problem now: where to put the
"dmsetup.static" binary? "device-mapper-static" contains the static
library.

Maybe we could change the package division and naming to something like
this:
"device-mapper" -- containig the executables, and documentation
"device-mapper-static" -- containig the static executables
"device-mapper-scripts" -- containig the scripts
"libdevmapper" or "device-mapper-libs" -- containig the dynamic library
"libdevmapper-devel" or "device-mapper-libs-devel" -- containig the header files
"libdevmapper-static" or "device-mapper-libs-static" -- containig the static library

The biggest problem, IMHO, would be changing "device-mapper-static" --
it would be a different module after the change, which could cause
problems with dependencies (fortunately there are not many dependencies
on static libraries).

Greets,
	Jacek