SPECS: perl.spec - release 0.2: updated Provides

Radoslaw Zielinski radek42 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 12:00:54 CEST 2005

Elan Ruusamäe <glen at delfi.ee> [08-06-2005 13:29]:
> On Wednesday 08 June 2005 13:59, Radosław Zieliński wrote:
>> On 6/8/05, Elan Ruusamäe <glen at delfi.ee> wrote:
>>> please look on this one too:
>>> https://bugs.pld-linux.org/index.php?do=details&id=5656

>> As migo wrote, this is not a bug.  As long as the CPAN module provides
>> equal or newer version and there is no conflict.

>> Yes, we have some conflicts on files, for example: both
>> perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker and perl-tools provide /usr/bin/instmodsh.
>> Solution: developing a consistent renaming policy.  Current status:
>> stale.
> why not just keep the perl-MODNAME packages, and remove from perl-modules,
> perl-tools?

If you have an application, which relies on some of these modules, and
want to say ``this works with perl-x.y.z'', it is nice to have the full
set in the distribution.  It sometimes happens, that the version in core
differs heavily from the one available on CPAN; example:

  $ rpm -q perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker
  perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30-1

  $ rpm -q --provides perl-devel-5.8.7 | grep Make | head -n1
  perl(ExtUtils::MakeMaker) = 6.17

I usually want the newest one, but sometimes do a lazy switch: poldek -e,
use 6.17, poldek -i.

--
Radosław Zieliński <radek42 at gmail.com>