Anyone actually running a 32 bit kernel on sun4u?

Chris Poon dev-null at telus.net
Tue Jun 14 21:21:32 CEST 2005

It seems to me that with the current state of ioctl translation, having
a 32 bit userland is a PITA for a 64 bit kernel. I'm not certain that
a 32 bit kernel would work on a sun4u and hence I have always built my
own 64 bit kernel RPMs. What gets me the latest is XFS - seems that none
of those ioctl would work with a 64 bit kernel and I have heard reports
about 64 bit userland still not working properly. Searching on compat_ioctl
doesn't get me anywhere (as it seems XFS switched to using compat_ioctl)
and I get a lot of "ioctl32 Unknown cmd" with the XFS tools. I know that
staying with Linux on sun4u platform is an up-hill battle but Sun hardware
do have its advantages.