PLD on sun4u/sparc64

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Thu Jun 16 08:30:25 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 03:18:41PM -0700, Chris Poon wrote:
> Just curious to see if anyone has an UltraSPARC loaded with PLD - seems
> to me that lacking an official kernel RPM, nobody would have a working system.

Yes, this is problem - as PLD build/ftp system isn't prepared yet to have
additional architecture with small subset of packages.
But I'm regularly testing building (and less regularly booting/running) of
kernel24 packages on sparc64 (and resulting packages can be found on my
homepage).

> The other major obstacle is the 32/64 bit translation between userland and
> kernel - there is certainly no glibc64 RPM for sparc64 nor is there any 64-bit
> userland program. Almost anything that needs to interact with the kernel
> seems to have major problem if they are compiled as 32 bit...

I think these are rare cases though (the only one I found and fixed few
days ago (in PLD kernel24 package; patch is in the way to official 2.4 tree)
was utimes() syscall in 2.4.x kernels).
Maybe iptables is problematic.
If you find more such problems, feel free to report them.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.cs.net.pl/