PLD on sun4u/sparc64

Chris Poon dev-null at telus.net
Fri Jun 17 07:58:40 CEST 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:30:25 +0200, Jakub Bogusz wrote:

> Yes, this is problem - as PLD build/ftp system isn't prepared yet to have
> additional architecture with small subset of packages.
> But I'm regularly testing building (and less regularly booting/running) of
> kernel24 packages on sparc64 (and resulting packages can be found on my
> homepage).

I believe other than the kernel and a few packages that require ioctl to
the kernel, you can pretty much link the sparc RPM as the sparc64 RPM as
you wouldn't need to rebuild anyway.

> I think these are rare cases though (the only one I found and fixed few
> days ago (in PLD kernel24 package; patch is in the way to official 2.4 tree)
> was utimes() syscall in 2.4.x kernels).
> Maybe iptables is problematic.
> If you find more such problems, feel free to report them.

I've been running 2.6 series since 2.6.5, and the latest 2.6.11.10 with PaX
turned on (just not the wisest thing to do as so many libraries are tagged
with executable stack required even though they don't need it). I remember
iptables used to be pretty bad, XFS is another for me under 2.6, specificall
xfs_growfs when it tries to make ioctl32 calls. ifenslave would never report
the correct information and earlier versions of it wouldn't even work properly.
Just a few things I listed - I want to make a 2.6 based PLD sparc64 system,
but it seems that I would have much better luck with Gentoo or Debian (which
isn't exactly stablized on 2.6 either). The main issue I have is a working
64 bit userland compiler (seems to me that crosssparc64 only works for the
kernel) so that if push comes to shove, I can produce the libraries for a 64
bit userland so stuff like XFS and iptables would work properly.