borked apache

Marcin Król hawk at limanowa.net
Wed Mar 16 13:18:23 CET 2005

Our apache is somehow borked. I can't locate the exact problem, just
symptoms. I've reported on devel-pl that when browsing any site on
server (after apache upgrade to 2.0.53-1) lets say, over 50% of page
views are just rendered blank and clicking on links very often results
in nothing. No entries in logs are generated when problem occurs. This
error was confirmed by few other users on devel-pl. 2.0.53-4 seems to be
affected too. Changing EnableSendfile to off in httpd.conf seems work
(btw, kernel was not changed in the meantime). The last working version
I know was 2.0.52-9 which I was using before upgrade.

Now the second problem: I was just trying to upgrade apache from
2.0.53-1 to 2.0.53-4, and update process _always_ hangs when doing
second restart of httpd (I'm using prefork). On stopping httpd it just
says BUSY and doesn't continue after waiting 20 minutes. Looks like it
doesn't liked those changes:
http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/SOURCES/apache.init?r1=1.34&r2=1.35
but on the other hand, when using "/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart"
manually it never hangs...

M.