php package

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Wed Mar 16 21:23:48 CET 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:02:37PM +0200, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> what about having separate php(4) packages for apache1 and apache2
> so i don't need to recompile or otherwise corrupt my system by installing
> accidentally php compiled for other apache version
>
> as of currently php4 means the package for apache
> create php4-apache1 and php4-apache(2) packages
> and Provide: php4 for backwards compatability.

I'd name them apache1-php4 and apache-php4
(or maybe apache1-mod_php4 and apache-mod_php4?).

> is it possible to do?
> what problems could arise?
> why not?
>
> how i see is that in a loop where different sapis are compiled (fcgi,cgi,etc)
> into the list is added apache1 and apache2 sapi modules
>
> and question too: does php-common contain symbols for apache? i remember error
> that searched some symbol for apache from that library.

IIRC libphp_common differs depending on used Apache SAPI.

It should be either reworked or dropped (in favour of duplicating ~1MB
of code 5 times[1] - well, "disks are cheap"?), if php isn't ready for
common code separation.

[1] cli, cgi, fcgi, apache, apache1

But... ugh, I'm not even sure if _PHP modules_ are the same when built
using different Apache SAPIs.
At least thread support option must be the same for all SAPIs(?)

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://cyber.cs.net.pl/~qboosh/