Menus and ConsoleOnly category

Patrys :: Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Fri May 13 13:46:31 CEST 2005

Dnia 13-05-2005, pią o godzinie 13:34 +0200, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz
napisał(a):
> Patrys :: Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> >
> > An average user does not need menu entries for programs like bc, dc,
> > elinks, ftp, lftp, links, lsof, lynx, ncftp and other console apps.
> >
> > The question is:
> >
> > Should I split the /etc/xdg/menus from gnome-menus package into a
> > gnome-menus-filter-default subpackage and provide an alternative
> > gnome-menus-filter-noconsole subpackage that filters them out or should
> > I split said programs to have an optional APPNAME-X11 subpackage
> > including only the desktop files?
>
> Decision whether some spplication should be visible or not should be user,
> tot admin decision. It should be configurable. And user should be able
> do switch easily to the opposite case.

It's like deciding applnk vs gnome-menus. Better to have admin option
than no option at all. Besides, you can append

<Menu>
  <Name>Console apps</Name>
  <Include>
    <Category>ConsoleOnly</Category>
  </Include>
</Menu>

to your ~/.config/menus/...

> Does a separate package provide such a functionality?

It provides more customisability. Anyway - wasn't PLD supposed to be
driven by developer needs? I need my machines to have clean menus by
default and none of my users select Applications / Edutainment (WTF?!) /
Bc. I want to provide them a clean installation by default, not having
to hack each user's menu by hand.

--
Patrys :: Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org>