Webservers other than apache (1) and php (2)

Adam Gołębiowski adamg at biomerieux.pl
Sun Nov 20 20:08:41 CET 2005

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 05:23:20PM +0200, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> > I'm currently using lighttpd. Is there any reason, why this creates a
> > lighttpd group instead of http (like apache)? Currently, to get things
> > working you must either add lighttpd user to the http group (if it exists)
> > or chown everything that wants to be owned by http group to lighttpd.
> i'm not sure why lighttpd has it's own uid/gid, but it could have been done
> because, thttpd runs in separate uid (thttpd), and that lighttpd itself
> doesn't run php, so you could have security by having webserver running
> different uid than php-fcgi, which runs under http uid.

Uhm, wouldn't it be better if each of the webservers work on their own
uid but all of them belong to the same group, name it http?

> > The other thing - lighttpd uses php-fcgi. Why does't this package provide
> > 'php'? Currently, to install e.g. phpPgAdmin (which requires php) one must
> > use --nodeps. Can't apache[1]-mod_php[4], php-fcgi, php-cli, php-cgi,
> > php-program or anything we have there to interpret php code provide 'php'?
> for the php-fcgi, i guess having Provide: php is okay, but i'm not sure
> php-cgi should provide one, as cgi is not webserver, ie the uid/gid is
> inherited from webserver process, which could even be random uid from suexec

php-cli can't provide php as it won't work with http daemons.

--
   .. ::  http://www.pomocdladominiki.com.pl/ -- możesz pomóc :: ..
http://www.mysza.eu.org/ | Everybody needs someone sure, someone true,