cvs vs svn...

Paweł Sakowski saq at pld-linux.org
Thu Sep 8 20:47:12 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 01:36 +0200, Jan Rekorajski wrote:
> > - it makes it impossible to revert by `cvs up -j` (you lose changelog
> > entries)
>
> Is it really that important? After 6 years of work with our CVS I can't
> remember needing it.

Then how would you/did you ever revert a non-trivial release? Probably
the least manual way is to `cvs diff` for the change being reverted,
editing the result (sed or vim) to strip the changes in the changelog
and `patch -R` the result, then commit. Any easier way?

> Did someone said something about disconnected work with svn?

Yes. That `svn diff` (local vs repo) and `svn revert` work disconnected.
Noboby stated anything beyond that.

> Come on svn fans, you're contradicting yourselves.

Please elaborate. Show me two statements of mine (or other "svn fans")
which logically contradict one another about that matter. I never
claimed that `svn log` works disconnected. And breaking news: neither
does `svn ci`.

--
Paweł Sakowski <saq at pld-linux.org>
PLD Linux Distribution