cvs vs svn... (Re: SOURCES: ghostscript-afpl-am.patch (NEW), ghostscript-afpl-ijs_pkg...)

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Fri Sep 9 22:48:18 CEST 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 17:32:08 +0100, wrobell wrote:

> > cvs up builder
> > sh builder -g foo.spec
> >
> > (there IS working builder).
>
> and when we are talking about skipping rpm/{SPECS,SOURCES}
> structure for svn repo, then we are forbidden to use scripts :)

The difference is this scripts gets a dozen of files in a dozen
requests and one has to do 2 cvs ups.
A future script will get 10k specs with 10k svn requests, and how
many updates would require? (see p. 3)

Let's make a list of COMMON tasks (excluding trivial ones), appropriate
command sets and compare it.

1. building a package from given branch:
cvs:	./builder -bb -R foo bar or ./builder -g and rpmbuild -bb
svn:	!? rpm uses SPECS/SOURCES subdirs, how the hell this will work
	with subdir-per-packet? Another messing script?

2. updating all resources I've checked out (having CVS/Entries.Static):
cvs:	cd SPECS, cvs up; cd ../SOURCES; cvs up
svn:	!?

3. fetching all specs:
cvs:	cvs up
svn:
for pkg in `svn ls http://.../packages/`; do
        do whatever you need
done

ohhh, it really sucks...

4. commiting changes:
cvs:	cvs ci foo.spec; cd ../SOURCES; cvs ci *
svn:	svn ci foo

hmmm, not so big difference, don't talk about atomic commits anymore.
Anyway - if we want this functionality, we could move SOURCES and SPECS
into higher level repo directory, so that they would be subdirs.

And now NOT COMMON ones:

5. reverting a commit:
cvs:	cvs up -r X foo; mv foo{,.tmp}; cvs up -A foo; mv -f foo{.tmp,}; cvs ci foo
svn:	svn revert foo

no difference for me. Not an argument.

5. renaming
cvs:	manually
svn:	svn rename

well, I don't care about names, I asked to do this once or twice.

6. access to deleted TAGS
cvs:	none
svn:	is

who needs it anyway (OK, you need this in DEVEL example, I don't)

--
GoTaR <priv0.onet.pl->gotar>        http://vfmg.sourceforge.net/
                                    http://tccs.sourceforge.net/