cvs vs svn... (Re: SOURCES: ghostscript-afpl-am.patch (NEW), ghostscript-afpl-ijs_pkg...)

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at pld-linux.org
Sat Sep 10 13:03:45 CEST 2005

On Saturday 10 of September 2005 12:48, Jan Rekorajski wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> > svn: see how creating diff between release and branch of kdebase package
> > is: svn diff svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/tags/KDE/3.4.2/kdebase \
> > svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.4/kdebase \
> >
> > > kdebase-branch.diff
> >
> > _without_ having anything beside svn client locally
>
> Side note about command line - it's what pisses me the most in svn, the
> requirement to type whole long URLs. I don't need to know them, it's the
> scm job to remember root dir for a repository/module.
svn remembers the urls in the same way as cvs.

mkdir /tmp/whatever; cd /tmp/whatever; cvs up -r TAG file
won't work. you still need to specify whole
-d:pserver:something at blahblah.pl:/somethingelse

> With cvs I just do 'cvs up -r TAG file', with svn I have to type a
> fscking loooong, exact, URL, which just hinders and slows the work down.
> A lot.
svn co -N longurl dir once, then
cd dir; svn up something

It will never be exactly the same as in cvs of course.

With cvs it was annoying, too. But not in cvs pld, some of my aliases for
example

cvse='CVS_RSH=ssh cvs
-d:ext:arekm at cvs.ezmlm-cgi-py.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ezmlm-cgi-py'
cvspure='CVS_RSH=ssh cvs
-d:ext:arekm at cvs.pureftpd.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pureftpd'

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz                    PLD/Linux Team
http://www.t17.ds.pwr.wroc.pl/~misiek/  http://ftp.pld-linux.org/