RPM changelog

Elan Ruusamäe glen at delfi.ee
Thu Apr 27 18:29:20 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 April 2006 15:37, Marcin Król wrote:
> > but while we were discussing migration to svn it was stated
> > that we really need complete changelog. always.
>
> Wait a second. I got lost. glen wants to cut changelog in CVS/SVN or in
> packages at build time? If in specs, then some of them have already been
> cut manually. If in rpms, isn't it pointless?
in binary rpm's. why pointless?

changelog isn't compressed, and some small packages have more in changelog in
rpm than the package itself contains in compressed files. and just manually
truncating specfile changelog just to have smaller changelog in rpms -- that
is imho pointless. ah and full changelogs are copied to /var/lib/rpm/Packages
too, also uncompressed form. rpm -qa is slow already on my average system.

and it's convenient for developer to have not-truncated changelog in spec.
from changelog in rpm you just need few recent ones to see is it worth to
upgrade rpm, or what was changed recently...
--
glen