RPM changelog

Marcin Król hawk at limanowa.net
Thu Apr 27 22:20:36 CEST 2006

> in binary rpm's. why pointless?

Few KB more or less per rpm makes no difference for me.

> changelog isn't compressed, and some small packages have more in changelog in

Small packages usually doesn't have big changelogs. Of course there are
exceptions.

> truncating specfile changelog just to have smaller changelog in rpms

spec files were AFAIR truncated just to be smaller, not because of rpm.

> rpm -qa is slow already on my average system.

Well, it is slow on some of my systems and fast on others. I was even
wondering why it is this way :) Machines speed doesn't matter here. Live
example: 400 MHz AMD K6-2 has faster rpm -qa than dual P3 1.4 GHz. It
probably depends on what packages are installed.

> from changelog in rpm you just need few recent ones to see is it worth to
> upgrade rpm, or what was changed recently...

Changelog in rpm could be even empty for me. But probably no one will
agree with me here :)

M.