/usr/share/xml

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Tue Feb 21 23:29:49 CET 2006

$ rpm -qf /usr/share/xml
libglade2-2.5.1-1.athlon

But beside glade-based apps this directory is used also by some
packages which don't require libglade2.

Also, FHS 2.3 specifies:

#v+

/usr/share/sgml : SGML data (optional)

Purpose

/usr/share/sgml contains architecture-independent files used by SGML
applications, such as ordinary catalogs (not the centralized ones, see /etc/
sgml), DTDs, entities, or style sheets.

Specific Options

The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, must be in /usr/
share/sgml, if the corresponding subsystem is installed:

Directory      Description
docbook   docbook DTD (optional)
tei       tei DTD (optional)
html      html DTD (optional)
mathml    mathml DTD (optional)

Other files that are not specific to a given DTD may reside in their own
subdirectory.

/usr/share/xml : XML data (optional)

Purpose

/usr/share/xml contains architecture-independent files used by XML
applications, such as ordinary catalogs (not the centralized ones, see /etc/
sgml), DTDs, entities, or style sheets.

Specific Options

The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, must be in /usr/
share/xml, if the corresponding subsystem is installed:

Directory        Description
docbook   docbook XML DTD (optional)
xhtml     XHTML DTD (optional)
mathml    MathML DTD (optional)

#v-

We have XML DTDs in /usr/share/sgml...
IIRC I saw some comment somewhere, that XML data shouldn't be placed in
/usr/share/sgml - but I don't remember the source now.

Anyway - let's at least move /usr/share/xml directory to some more
common package... FHS?

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.cs.net.pl/