udev

havner havner at smtp.kamp.pl
Wed Jan 4 14:21:11 CET 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:43:33PM +0100, Fryderyk Dziarmagowski wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:52:15 +0100
> havner <havner at smtp.kamp.pl> wrote:
>
> > Revision 1.137  2005/11/16 15:35:22  freetz
> > - removed hotplug symlink (it can't be done this way until /sbin/hotplug
> >   is
> >   a default kernel hotplug handler), added cleaned up hotplug_map.rules
> >   (instead of creating it with script at build time), rel.1
> >
> > So how should it be done? Cause now we end up with a booted system:
> >
> > $ sudo sysctl kernel.hotplug
> > kernel.hotplug = /sbin/hotplug
> > $ ls -l /sbin/hotplug
> > ls: /sbin/hotplug: No such file or directory
> >
> > /sbin/udev_start sets this to /sbin/udevsend but rc-scripts set it back
> > to hotplug. I dont care how it will be done (maybe remove it from
> > rc-scripts) but for now it cant stay this way. What was wrong in this
> > symlink? Cause i dont really get the "it can't be done this way until
> > /sbin/hotplug is a default kernel hotplug handler". Why? This package is
> > PLD specific and our rc-scripts set this to /sbin/hotplug so for us its
> > default.
>
> Symlink was wrong because was called after / is mounted and before udev
> was ready to start. That was leading to propagating device nodes on
> readonly filesystem.

Was called by what? Existance of a file means its executed? I dont get
something here. And why this does not affect hotplug package itself
where /sbin/hotplug exists and /dev/ is on ro filesystem for whole
sysinit phase (no tmpfs)

> I can't speak about rc-srcipts. I don't know why (cruft?) it is set by
> default, even when hotplug is not installed.
>
> btw. starting from linux 2.6.15 it (hotplug handler) should be set to ""

Its hardcoded into kernel for udevsend or autodetected?

--
Regards    Havner                      {jid,mail}:havner(at)pld-linux.org
PLD developer                                    http://www.pld-linux.org