udev

Jakub Piotr Cłapa loc at toya.net.pl
Wed Jan 4 22:04:06 CET 2006

Elan Ruusamäe napisał(a):
> is the hotplug issue by any chance related to the fact that after booting i
> got on screen message "starting udev" and it stays there forever stopping
> maching bootup. can't even kill it with SAK.

Shouldn't but who knows...
There was a solution mentioned on pld-users-pl consisting on changing
the udev start command from rc-scripts with a less complicated one (I
don't quite remember the details now).

> usually (happened before too), i boot with init=/bin/sh and run 'start_udev&'
> once from commandline. and after that start udev hung dissapears.

I found that it ,,just works'' sometimes (it seemed to vary across
defferent computers; sometimes it worked more often then not and
sometimes it was the other way around)

> but today this trick didn't work because i couldn't send any input to started
> shell!!!, i guess this is because my /dev is empty and no udev started.

Your dev should not be empty (there are at least static /dev/null and
/dev/console from the udev rpm package)