SOURCES: cherokee.init - disable reload, as server dies instead of...

Elan Ruusamäe glen at delfi.ee
Thu Jan 5 11:50:29 CET 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 10:46, Jakub Bogusz wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 05:01:28PM +0100, glen wrote:
> > Author: glen                         Date: Sat Dec 31 16:01:28 2005 GMT
> > Module: SOURCES                       Tag: HEAD
> > ---- Log message:
> > - disable reload, as server dies instead of get reloaded
> >
> > -  restart)
> > +  restart|reload)
> >  	$0 stop
> >  	$0 start
> >  	exit $?
>
> Such "reload" option doesn't conform to LSB:
>
> <quote>
> reload       cause the configuration of the service to be reloaded without
>              actually stopping and restarting the service
> </quote>
>
> "reload" action is optional and init script is allowed to return status
> code 3 if action is unimplemented.
corrected. thx for the info :)
but i'm sure there are lot of more similarily broken (according to LSB)
initscripts.

on topic initscripts, i think we should rewrite our scripts restart not to use
$0 ACTION, as that will invoke the script (and rc-script functions) once
again, thus doing unneccessary cpu cycles and disk io

so, to make it easy, i propose:
1. make start() stop() functions
2. case "restart" calls start and stop functions, if restart doesn't have own
implementation

--
glen