Java: jakarta-, apache-, or java-?

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Thu May 18 12:12:55 CEST 2006

One more thing we should decide about Java packages: the naming scheme.

Now most (all?) of Java packages from the Apache Foundation are packaged
in jakarta-*.spec. But not all of them are really part of Jakarta.

Our jakarta-ant.spec contains software which is "Apache Ant" and its
source is apache-ant-%{version}-src.zip.

Log4j (which we have in jakarta-log4j.spec) comes from
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/ as logging-log4j-%{version}.tar.gz.

I don't like not-really-Jakarta packages called jakarta-*.

I such options:
1. always use the names used for source archives
2. use java-*.spec for all Java libraries, like it is done for other
languages
3. some hybrid solution. Eg. keep using jakarta-* for Jakarta stuff, but
use java-* for other stuff, with not that obvious names.

Apache Ant could be called "apache-ant" (which would collide with our
Apache HTTPD packages naming), or just "ant" (not "java-ant" as that is
an application, not library).

BTW: Do we have any Java guru here?

Grees,
        Jacek