/bin/sh shell - the posix shell and {} braces expansion case

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at pld-linux.org
Wed Nov 8 10:37:33 CET 2006

We use tons of brace expansions (like man{1,5}) in our specs. Unfortunately
there is a problem since POSIX/SUSv3 shell specification doesn't say a word
about {} expansion. What now - should {} in spec files be forbidden?

I was thinking about switching from buggy and unmaintained pdksh to some other
shell for Th than pdksh.

I've tested zsh as /bin/sh and {} issue came up since zsh posix compatible
implementation is stricter than pdksh one. zsh has switch for that
(no_ignore_brace) but... there is no single configuration file that is read
by zsh in /bin/sh emulation mode).

Well, there is only bash left as a option for /bin/sh it seems ;-)

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team