file 4.18 vs libtool dependencies autodetection

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Sun Nov 19 23:44:53 CET 2006

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 08:43:31PM +0100, Tomasz Wittner wrote:
> On Tue 14. November 2006 01:40, Jakub Bogusz wrote:
> > file 4.18 began to recognize libtool files (*.la):
> >
> > /usr/lib/librpm.la: libtool library file
> > (instead of "ASCII English text" like before)
> >
> > and it appears to enable libtool dependencies autodetection in rpm.
> > Should be use it or disable it?
> Is any profit of not disabling them? IMO generating libtool(libfoo.la) P/R
> should be disabled. We could have lived without them till now, we can live
> further. ;)

Yes, we could and we can.
But we also spent some time on tracking where some build dependencies
come from when they weren't noticed at their true source before (see
all those threads about adding to wrong BRs some end package because
of *.la dependencies).
With autogenerated *.la dependencies we can avoid this in future.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/