packaging rules

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Tue Aug 7 21:24:20 CEST 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 06:48:09PM +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> So, is there anything against using feature-provides and conflicts
> (only for really conflicting packages)?
>
> Old packages should not be a problem if we rebuild all affected software.

It is a problem as just rebuilding them don't force installing them on all
existing machines. In such cases I propose changing package name Obsoletes
to Conflicts: package-name < (E:V-R before Provides has been added).

Also, you found a set of packages which are really mutually exclusive
and installing more than one makes no sense: issue*. Just dropping
Obsoletes makes an unresolved conflict in distribution (try poldek
--verify=fileconflicts). I think P+O: issue-package (literally, virtual
package with that name) is the way to go (keeping in mind previous
paragraph).

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/