packaging rules

Cezary Krzyzanowski dhubleizh at o2.pl
Tue Aug 21 13:42:52 CEST 2007

Dnia 07-08-2007, Wt o godzinie 23:00 +0200, Jakub Bogusz napisał(a):

> For yum fans: such change in rpm alone probably won't solve anything
> with yum, as their maintainers are unlinkely to implement this
> (just like Suggests)...

I belive we should not care bout that. I think if we already think of
our selves as avant-garde in terms of rpm usage *and* Jeff is there
reading and considering the changes we should not think back on what
other supporters will do. Red hat mainly doesn't care bout giving yum
new possibilities, but let's focus what *we* want. And maybe, that's
*maybe* other will follow, like Mandriva or Yast from Novell?

Let's focus on finding a reasonable and constant solution for the three
scenarios (the old->new package, the conflicting scenarios like issue
and the alternatives scenario like www daemon), poke Jeff to approve the
'our' way in the next rpm and then poke mis to make poldek use the
semantics we've chosen.

Patching yum and smart *shouldn't* (I know -- I'm not declaring to do
that, but I'm making statements ;/) be too much of trouble. AFAIR
(please don't yell Patrys) Patrys said he'll keep the suggesting patches
to yum, so maybe we'll (again an emtpy we) manage to keep another
package giving the wanted behavior in both yum and smart.

Cz at rny