SOURCES: logrotate.conf - do log rotation daily and keep 2 weeks.

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Tue Dec 25 22:54:34 CET 2007

On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 08:22:47PM +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> 2007/12/25, Tomasz Pala <gotar at polanet.pl>:
> > My biggest system (3k users, dozens of services) produces about 300 MB
> > logs every day. Such machine doesn't have ANY problems compressing this
> > after a week.
>
> My biggest system is producing gigabytes of http access logs every
> day. And I still believe such cases need tweaking anyway.

Big systems need tuning anyway.

> Daily
> rotation by default makes it so much easier to find the right file.

And produces hundreds of archival log files (28*10 or so), which is
overkill on less loaded system.

My proposal: let's place a few commented log rotation schemes and leave
the default of rotate 4 weekly everybody got accustomed to.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/