[Ac] hdparm hangs often during starting (udev issue?)

Tomasz Wittner twittner at o2.pl
Sun Feb 11 13:15:38 CET 2007

Hello,

Nearly every two booting I'm forced to press reset button on my workstation
(or sometimes is possible Alt+PrintScreen+S/B) - starting hangs during hdparm
invokation. Because hdparm is called right after starting udev I suspect that
udev (v. 079) doesn't finish its job and hdparm maybe hangs because
of "queued kernel/udev events"[1] are not handled yet.
Newer udev (v. 104) has binary called udevsettle which is used in start_udev
(PLD Th) or /etc/init.d/udev (Debian unstable f.e.) scripts. As is said in
[1]man udevsettle is used for delaying script execution until queued
kernel/udev events are handled.

--
Tomasz Wittner