gcc-java vs java-sun-tools

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Wed Jan 3 22:35:19 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 03:49:43PM +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> There is a problem with gcc-java vs java-sun-tools. These packages are
> conflicting on each other but tons of java specs require one or another. This
> means that manual uninstalling/installing on builders is required.
>
> I guess that the only one conflicting file is /usr/bin/jar - I'm thinking
> about adding gcc-java-tools package with jar binary only but... it seems that
> such subpackage was already there and was removed:
>
> Revision 1.298  2005/05/11 21:20:15  pluto
> - gcc-java-tools mreged into gcc-java.
>   this package isn't common for every java implementation now.

It was removed when jar in gcc had been renamed to fastjar and there
were no conflicting files between gcc-java and java-sun.

So there is a reason to separate jar again.

> The other solution would be putting Obsoletes without Conflicts in each
> package so there would be no problems on builders (installation deps based
> would work) ...

IMO gcc-java shouldn't obsolete java-sun. java-gcj-compat (with
java/javac wrappers) can do it.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/