[Th] SMP for all!

Rafał Cygnarowski zswi at pers.pl
Tue Jan 23 10:16:22 CET 2007

Dnia wtorek, 23 stycznia 2007, Bartosz Taudul napisał:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 06:32:54PM +0100, Rafał Cygnarowski wrote:
> > Besides... if there is problem with thouse devices on smp kernel than it
> > should be fixed and I think it's the correct way to solve problem (not
> > running away to up kernel...).
>
> So fix them and then we'll talk. There are many things that "should be",
> but unfortunately, they aren't.

There is nothing to fix so far, couse no one said concretes informatinon -
only rumors:

1. Cz at arny
> I.E. Amarok and probably some other apps do some magic on their own to
> ensure smooth ridding on SMP machines and wouldn't this post problems??
_magic_ is not my domain

2. Paweł Sikora
> iirc not all stuff works fine in smp enviroment.
> e.g. some lirc drivers, video tuners, tape/floppy drivers.
_some_ - which one? what are the symptoms of not working? oops? where they
are?

3. Marcin Król
> There is one. I've encountered some UP hardware where running any SMP
> kernel simply locks whole machine.
no concret information - even kernel version is a secret

4. qboosh
> What about modules marked as BROKEN_ON_SMP since the beginning (of
> BROKEN_ON_SMP flag)?
I found no driver which uses this flag.

I suppose most of these rumors concern some old 2.6 (or even 2.5) kernels.

--
Rafał Cygnarowski
rafi at pers.pl