rpm and mono

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sun Jul 15 19:08:51 CEST 2007

On Jul 15, 2007, at 12:59 PM, Jakub Bogusz wrote:

>> Well, I'll remove the mono scripts (added 2 days ago) from rpm
>> sources. ;-)
>
> Oops, I didn't know that :)

;-) Actually external per-interpreter rpm helpers is preferred, PLD just
got there first, as always ;-)

>>> Actually:
>>> 1. We can safely generate (arch-dependent) soname dependencies for
>>> arch-dependent dotnet* packages (those with glue ELF libraries, like
>>> gtk-sharp, or gnome-sharp, which started this discussion).
>>> mono-find-requires script can detect mono version basing on monodis
>>> (or libmono.so) ELF type.
>>>
>>> 2. if we decide to generate soname dependencies for some noarch
>>> dotnet* package, it won't by noarch any longer.
>>>

>> If there are soname dependencies, the package is not "noarch", is it?
>
> In case of mono/dotnet assemblies (*.dll) without native glue code
> library sonames are specified in text/xml file (*.dll.config), and
> libraries themselves are dlopened by mono - so assembly packages don't
> contain anything arch-dependent.

Oops, I dinna know that. Lots I don't know about mono, I've never
knowingly
needed or used.

Ah, so two-level linkage through some dlopen() mechanism to maintain
a "noarch" fiction.

The offer to send a patch if you send me a test case remains. It sounds
like the dependencies can be handled externally to rpm, the "soname"
is what I reacted to.

Note that the mono-helpers are invoked per-file, necessary iff the
traditional
model is continued:
      cat monofileslist | mono-helper > monodepslist

73 de Jeff