rpm bug?

Marcin Król hawk at limanowa.net
Thu Jul 19 09:50:33 CEST 2007

Hello.

I'm not good in uderstanding how rpm internally works so don't blam me if I'm
writing obvious things :)

I think I've found bug in .spec processing. I'll show that on example. Our
builder script is using following command to get package name and version for
auto- CVS tag:

rpmbuild --macros
/usr/lib/rpm/macros:/usr/lib/rpm/i686-linux/macros:/etc/rpm/macros.*:/etc/rpm/macros:/etc/rpm/i686-linux/macros:~/etc/.rpmmacros:~/.rpmmacros:/home/users/krol/.builder-rpmmacros
--nodigest --nosignature --nobuild --define 'prep %{echo:dummy: PACKAGE_NAME
%{name} }%dump' --nodeps mozilla-firefox.spec

Main package in mozilla-firefox.spec has version 2.0.0.5 however above command
returns PACKAGE_VERSION = 0.8.4.0 which is version of mozilla-firefox-tidy
subpackage. Since it is last subpackage defined in spec it seems like rpm just
take last "Version: something" as package version instead of using version of
main package.

Maybe this is feature required for something else to work, I don't know. For me
its a bug which should be nailed :)

M.