[BUG] exclude confuses /usr/lib/rpm/check-files

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sun Jul 22 20:09:54 CEST 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Pawel Golaszewski wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, Adam Gołębiowski wrote:
>>> It seems that /usr/lib/rpm/check-files is confused when in spec is
>>> used "%exclude". Files excluded aren't shown as unpackaged.
>> Should they? I allways thought of unpackaged files as of those
>> which you
>> may have missed - %exclude means you know the file exists but just
>> don't
>> want to package it.
>
> You don't want it in _that_ package where %exclude is specified.  It
> doesn't mean that you don't want to package it at all.
>
> Maybe there should be another tag "%ignore" when you don't want
> something
> at all? Now we are deleting files while installing... but I don't
> think
> it's good solution. Not clean, for sure.
>
> Jeff?

I'm not sure I see the usage case for explicit %ignore. One
can certainly enumerate files/directories explicitly in %files,
and just delete undesired elements.

And if ease of packaging is the issue, then pattern rule
based content, like, say,
    *.h
    *.a
    *.la
    *.so
from %{buildroot}, to send files that match pattern always into *-devel
subpackage.

Replacing external check-files script using a %{buildroot}
Fts(3) walk internal to rpm is achievable. The functionality of
detecting files that have been overlooked in %files manifests is
too important to leave to a script, and an Fts(3) implementation
is likely the same order of magnitude of effort as arranging
for %{_tmppath} (or %{_tmpdir} ;-) lists to be used by a script,
with results sucked and parsed from stdout for display purposes.

Likely not the answers you wanted to hear ;-)

But %ignore can be added to rpmbuild if you wish.

73 de Jeff