SPECS: vim.spec - with python, ruby and tcl by default - rel 3 for...

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Mon Jun 18 15:10:38 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 02:20:27PM +0200, Mariusz Mazur wrote:
> Yup. We should have full vim with everything (X, python, perl, ruby,
> brainfuck, you name it) and a vim-minimal for those, that want to have the
> lightest version possible.

It is not that easy... one needs minimum VIM (imagine: to be booted from
a pendrive anywhere), just for writing human-readable text... that
means: not GUI, no syntax highliting, no built-in interpreters... but a
spell-checker is a requirement.
Other may use VIM only for writting configuration files (e.g. router set
on a constrained hardware) and scripts, syntax highliting is one of the
most important feature then... I think I had problem trying to use
vim-static (our "minimal but static", no syntax highliting AFAIR) or nvi
(not VIM at all, so a lot of functionality is missing) in such cases.

It is a pity VIM doesn't support binary plugins (that would be the right
solution for the interpreters problem)... Fortunately some heavy
functionality may be partitioned by splitting vim-rt package.

Greets,
        Jacek